UPDATED COVID PROCEDURES:
For any questions and the most up-to-date information on school guidelines in regard to COVID-19, please visit the Mississippi State Department of Health website at: http://healthyms.com/msdhsite/_static/resources/14912.pdf
Below is a condensed version of these guidelines. However, for the fully comprehensive guidelines please see the MSDH link above.
Columbia School District Revised COVID-19 Procedures
Important Guidelines From the Mississippi Department of Health
- Regardless of vaccination status, if an individual is exhibiting 2 or more symptoms of COVID-19, a doctor’s excuse is required to return to school/work.
- COVID-19 Exposure Definition: The current definition of exposure to COVID-19 remains 15 minutes of cumulative contact over a 24-hour period at < 6 feet. An infected person can spread COVID-19 up to 2 days before they have symptoms or
2 days prior to the positive test if they have no symptoms, therefore, contacts should be identified who were exposed up to 2 days prior to the onset or test date accordingly.
- According to the Mississippi Department of Health, Day 1 begins the day AFTER exposure.
- Example 1: Jane develops cough and fever on December 1. Her symptoms have improved, and she does not have a weakened immune system. She should remain in isolation through December 11. Jane leaves isolation on December 12th.
Fully Vaccinated Individuals (staff/student)
- NO quarantine is required for close contact/exposure to positive COVID-19 cases unless symptomatic.
COVID-19 Positive Cases
- Quarantine 10 full days from onset of symptoms
- Return to school on day 11
- Quarantine 10 days from date of positive test
Exposure/Close Contact to COVID-19
All unvaccinated individuals who are exposed to COVID-19 should immediately quarantine and be excluded from in-person school and extracurricular activities.
- Quarantine Options:
- Quarantine for full 14 days. Return to school on day 15.
- 10 Day Option: If the individual experiences NO symptoms during the 10 days, he/she can return on day 11.
- 7 Day Option: If individual experiences NO symptoms for 7 days, they may return to school on day 8 with a negative test (PCR or Rapid) taken on day 5, 6, or 7.
- Exclusions No Quarantine:
- NO quarantine required K-12 if both parties were wearing masks at time of exposure.
- NO quarantine required for fully vaccinated individuals unless symptoms are present.