COVID-19 Procedures – Revised 1/4/2022
Columbia School District
COVID-19 Omicron Variant Procedures
COVID-19 Exposure/Quarantine or Isolation Guidelines:
Given what we currently know about COVID-19 and the Omicron variant, CDC is shortening the recommended time for isolation for the public. People with COVID-19 should isolate for 5 days and if they are asymptomatic or their symptoms are resolving (without fever for 24 hours), follow that by 5 days of wearing a mask when around others to minimize the risk of infecting people they encounter. The change is motivated by science demonstrating that the majority of SARS-CoV-2 transmission occurs early in the course of illness, generally in the 1-2 days prior to onset of symptoms and the 2-3 days after.
- According to the CDC, Day 1 begins the day AFTER exposure or positive test
- An individual is not considered fully vaccinated until 2 weeks after the second dose. 6 months after the 2nd dose a booster is required to be considered fully vaccinated.
- BOOSTED STATUS DEFINITION: An individual is not considered fully boosted until 2 weeks after the booster injection.
Exclusions No Quarantine:
- NO quarantine required K-12 if both parties were wearing masks at time of exposure.
- NO quarantine required for fully vaccinated individuals unless symptoms are present.
- NO quarantine required for people who have had COVID-19 within the past 90 days and recovered.
- MASKS ARE MANDATORY for 10 days following any exposure regardless of vaccination status and current Columbia School District Mask Policy.
IF YOU DISPLAY SYMPTOMS OF COVID-19
SYMPTOMS of COVID-19 are as follows but not limited to the following:
loss of taste and/or smell, unusual or severe headache, cough, fever, shortness of breath, muscle aches, sore throat, and fatigue.
- Notify your school
- Quarantine for 5 Days and we recommend you see your medical provider for further evaluation and testing.
IF YOU TEST POSITIVE FOR COVID-19 (ISOLATE)
Everyone, regardless of vaccination status.
- Stay home for 5 days.
- If you have no symptoms or your symptoms are resolving after 5 days, you can leave your house.
- Continue to wear a mask around others for 5 additional days.
If you have a fever, continue to stay home until your fever resolves.
IF YOU WERE EXPOSED TO SOMEONE WITH COVID-19 (QUARANTINE)
If you: Have been boosted (see above definition of boosted status)
Completed the primary series of Pfizer or Moderna vaccine within the last 6 months
Completed the primary series of J&J vaccine within the last 2 months
- Wear a mask around others for 10 days.
- Test on day 5, if possible.
If you develop symptoms get a test & stay home.
If you: Completed the primary series of Pfizer or Moderna vaccine over 6 months ago and are not boosted
Completed the primary series of J&J over 2 months ago & are not boosted
- Stay home for 5 days. After that continue to wear a mask around others for 5 additional days.
- If you can’t quarantine you must wear a mask for 10 days.
- Test on day 5 if possible.
If you develop symptoms get a test & stay home
The Mississippi State Department of Health has an easy-to-access site to make an appointment for free testing. See the link below.
The Columbia School District continues to offer free weekly COVID-19 Testing and testing for individuals who are on Day 5 of their quarantine period who are also symptom free and fever free for 24 hours.
For any questions please contact Sherry Broom at email@example.com
Visit the CDC Website at: